One of the common health issues people talk to me about when I teach essential oil classes is lack of sleep. We all know good sleep is critical to good health and I’m sure you’ve spent more than a few nights tossing and turning, worrying over stuff that is not all that important at 3am!
Insufficient sleep is correlated with lower concentration and focus; chronic health conditions, lower cognitive function, weight management issues, mood instability and accidents/injuries.
The amount of sleep a person needs depends on many factors, including age. In general:
- Infants require about 12-15 hours a day
- Toddlers require about 11-14 hours a day
- Pre-school children require 10-13 hours a day
- School-age children require 9-11 hours a day
- Teenagers need about 8.5-9.5 hours on average
- Most adults need 7 to 9 hours a night for the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 6 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day
- Women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual
dōTERRA have a number of essential oils and proprietary blends that are excellent to assist with sleep issues. Some diffuser and roller ball blends I love are:
- Frankincense, Vetiver and Lavender
- Lavender, Frankincense and Wild Orange
- Marjoram, Cedarwood and Bergamot
- Arborvite, Frankincense and Marjoram
- Ylang, Ylang, Cedarwood, Frankincense and Lavender
A few drops of each is fine for your diffuser, depending on the size of your room. If you are blending in a roller ball bottle, around 20-25 drops in total is sufficient, topped up with a carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut Oil. I’ve personally had success with any blends that contain Vetiver, Frankincense and Lavender. Good luck and let me know what works for you!
While on the subject of sleep, dōTERRA introduced two new products at the recent convention in Utah which are not yet on sale, however, will be wonderful natural sleep solutions. Serenity is currently known as Lavender Peace in Australia and this blend will now include Cedarwood, Ho Wood and Vetiver.
The Serenity Restful Complex is a unique combination of Lavender essential oil and natural plant extracts in a vegetarian softgel to help you get the refreshing sleep you need without leaving you feeling groggy and sleepy the next day. This complex combines the well-researched, relaxing benefits of Lavender essential oil and L-Theanine along with lemon balm, passionflower, and chamomile to gently promote relaxation and sleep. Can’t wait to try these ones!