Mood swings, sugar cravings, irrational bouts of despair, crazy libido, migraines – these can all be signs of hormonal imbalance.
Hormones — such as estrogen, testosterone, adrenaline and insulin — are chemical messengers that travel via our bloodstream to every organ and tissue and regulate processes in the body. Many people take conventional medication for hormone imbalance which may mean many years on medication, masking the actual problem or other health issues from synthetic drugs.
Common other signs of hormone imbalance maybe infertility, irregular periods, weight gain or loss that is unexplained, depression or anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, hair loss and digestive issues and bloating.
Some of the major contributors to hormonal imbalances include:
- Food allergies and gut issues, including leaky gut syndrome or a lack of beneficial probiotic bacteria lining your intestinal wall. This condition may mean you are more susceptible to hormonal problems including diabetes and obesity. That’s because inflammation usually stems from your gut and then impacts nearly every aspect of your health.
- Being overweight or obese
- High levels of inflammation caused by a poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle
- Genetic susceptibility
- Toxicity (exposure to pesticides, toxins, viruses, cigarettes, excessive alcohol and harmful chemicals)
- High amount of stress, and a lack of enough sleep and rest
10 ways to balance hormones naturally:
- Eat healthy fats
- Increase your intake of Omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts, hemp seeds, flaxseed, tuna, mackerel and salmon
- Improve gut health and heal leaky gut syndrome
- Eliminate toxic kitchen, beauty and body care products
- Exercise – HIIT (high intensity interval training)
- Reduce stress and get more sleep
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake
Dr Axe writes:
Conventional treatments for hormonal imbalances usually include synthetic hormone replacement therapies, birth control pills, insulin injections, thyroid medications and more. Unfortunately, for the majority of people suffering from hormonal disorders, relying on these types of synthetic treatments often does three things:
- It makes people dependent on taking prescription drugs for the rest of their lives in order to keep symptoms under control
2. It simply masks the patient’s symptoms, but doesn’t solve them, which means that the patient can continue to develop abnormalities in other areas of the body while the disorder progresses
3. It causes a higher risk for serious side effects such as stroke, osteoporosis, anxiety, reproductive problems, cancer and more
dōTERRA’s ClaryCalm blend is the perfect blend to assist women during the menstrual cycle, however, it is also used for PMS, hot flushes and to generally make you feel soothed and calm. This topical blend provides a cooling effect to the skin and help balance emotions.
Clary Sage: High in linalool, which is relaxing, and linalyl acetate, noted for its anti-inflammatory properties. Some women say this oil can assist menopausal symptoms
Lavender: Soothing, calms and balances emotions
Bergamot: Helps relieve feelings of stress, tension and helps balance emotions
Roman Chamomile: Anti-spasmodic with calming and relaxing properties
Cedarwood: Calming, soothes nervous tension
Ylang Ylang: Calming and sedative properties.
Geranium: Has a calming influence, great for PMS
Fennel: Traditionally used to relieve pre-menopause and menopausal symptoms, used to relieve PMS
Carrot Seed: Used to regulate menstruation and soothe PMS symptoms
Palmarosa: Helps to reduce stress and tension
Vitex: Used for its ability to regulate estrogen levels, and to alleviate symptoms associated with PMS and menopause.
This blend comes neat, so dilution with a carrier oil is advised. Apply to the chest, abdomen, back of neck, spine and wrists when needed. Consistency is the key with this blend.
For those who suffer from period cramping, I recommend layering ClaryCalm, Past Tense (the Tension blend) and a good quality magnesium oil, on the lower abdomen. My 16 year old daughter has recently started using a menstrual cup and her cramping almost completely disappeared. So this is definitely worth investigating if cramping is an issue.
dōTERRA has two specific women’s supplements:
Bone Nutrient Lifetime Complex is a blend of vitamins and minerals that are essential for bone health in women beginning in adolescence and continuing through menopause. This supplement includes vitamins C and D, plus calcium, magnesium, and other trace minerals that support healthy bone density as a woman ages.
Phytoestrogen Lifetime Complex is a blend of natural plant extracts that support hormone balance throughout the different phases of a woman’s life. This supplement is a blend of standardized plant phytoestrogens that support hormone balance gently and naturally. It also includes concentrated flax seed lignans to promote healthy metabolism.
- Pre- and peri-menopausal women, take one (1) to two (2) capsules daily with food or as needed. Post-menopausal women, take two (2) capsules daily with food, ideally formulated to be taken with dōTERRA Women Bone Nutrient Lifetime Complex, ClaryCalm monthly essential oil blend, and Lifelong Vitality Pack.
Please ask me if you would like a sample of Clary Calm (AU only)